Freitag, 4. November 2016

Knysna Elephant Park, October 2016, 1st day



On Friday 21st October, I arrived at George airport around 9 AM. My friend, Johan, a local cab driver, was waiting to pick me up and gave me a big hug as we met!!! I first met Johan in 2012 as I was doing volunteering at Knysna Elephant Park. Himself, his brother and other cab drivers from his company, Dolphin cabs, would drive the volunteers to Plettenberg Bay, Knysna and so on. Johan has a generous personality and is a very hard-working guy! So, of course we caught up on the latest news during the trip to Knysna Elephant Park where we arrived around 11 AM. 
I first met Mac, (check image 13), a wonderful elephant handler who has been part of the successful story of the elephant park since the beginning. As it was too early to get my room, I went to the shop to buy some water and “bumped” into my good friend, Geoffrey,(check image 10), who was off work and just happened to be inside the souvenirs shop and was very surprised to see me there so suddenly. He had known I would arrive on the Friday but did not expect me so early. I think he was gobsmacked! We hugged and I fetched some water and rushed back to the reception to be able to go on the next tour to the elephants. Luckily enough, my friend Aubrey was in charge of that tour. He was also gobsmacked to see me there so early! I went in the video room with him and the other tourists and got to see the new video that Knysna Elephant Park shows the tourists before meeting the elephants. I find it beautiful and very well-made. Finally, after a quick look at the boma, we drove to the field to meet the ellies. I had bought a bucket of fruits and veggies to feed my babe, Mashudu. Since we were only a few people, I got to feed him. I was so moved at seeing him again, that I felt like a little girl! The tourist next to me did not understand why I was so moved, so I told them, I had come a long way to feed that little fellow. Maybe they thought I was crazy but the people who know me also know how much Mashudu means to me! After feeding the ellies, I got to spend time with Aubrey and Mashudu. It was good to be there again. At last, I was home again!
Later, I went back, had lunch and finally could go to my room. I unpacked and went to see the ellies again. I spent a couple of hours there with the ellies and the elephant handlers. 
Here are a few pics of my beloved ellies.

Mashudu
 
Sally
Nandi

Keisha

Hungry ellies

Thandi and Nandi

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen